This is a hand written copy of one of George Washington’s Land Grant Surveys.
The survey of almost 400 acres in what was then Augusta County, VA was completed November 6, 1749 for James Scott. The land grant was finalized almost two years later on June 6, 1751.
As was the custom of the time, this hand written copy was made and signed for the owner’s records. It reads that the original was in Book G, Folio 537.
George Washington was a professional surveyor from the ages of 17 through 20 (1749 – 1752). At a time when most men had to apprentice for this position, Washington was granted his Commission as Surveyor for Culpepper County VA due to his close relationship with the Fairfax family. This survey is believed to be one of the first that he accomplished.
This is an original document that has been studied and appraised by one of the leading professionals in Virginia.